REQ: advice
Rez
2004-06-04 12:22:02 UTC
Hello there,
I'm on the verge of setting up a pond, and have few concerns regarding
protection of the pond. My original intention was to have a simple wildlife
pond, but have since decided to stock some fish of some description. My
problem/worry is the predatory subject. I do not want mesh/screen covering
the sface, but I live in a very rural part of suffolk where aside from
several cats there is also a risk from Herons, possibly kingfishers & a
multitude of other creatures that may fancy a nibble from the pond.
I've read about cords & such to stop wading birds, but is there any way of
protecting the pond from such things without making it too much un-natural
looking? Any ideas or experiences greatly appreciated.
TIA
Rez

---

Tumbleweed
2004-06-17 07:44:16 UTC
Post by Rez
Hello there,
I'm on the verge of setting up a pond, and have few concerns regarding
protection of the pond. My original intention was to have a simple wildlife
pond, but have since decided to stock some fish of some description. My
problem/worry is the predatory subject. I do not want mesh/screen covering
the sface, but I live in a very rural part of suffolk where aside from
several cats there is also a risk from Herons, possibly kingfishers & a
multitude of other creatures that may fancy a nibble from the pond.
I've read about cords & such to stop wading birds, but is there any way of
protecting the pond from such things without making it too much un-natural
looking? Any ideas or experiences greatly appreciated.
TIA
Rez
You can get automated (infra red activated) water sprayers..cost about
£50-£60 IIRC.
Downside is that they always need to be connected to the mains water, and
also you'll have to remember to switch them off every time you go into the
garden!

It is also possible to construct a pond with fairly solid mesh just below
the water line so its not visible. Bu youd want to amke that removable for
maintenance. I just put up with the occasional heron foray, if it was
constant I suppose I'd have to try one of these solutions.
--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address
Rez
2004-06-21 17:14:15 UTC
....is there any way of
Post by Tumbleweed
Post by Rez
[...]
Thanks for the info. I doubt I will bother with the infra red thing, sounds
like too much hassle to me. I have decided Im going with your way of
thinking for now, just wait & see what happens.
Thanks again for the info & advice.

Rez

---