new here
Bev England
2005-05-29 20:04:59 UTC
Hi, I am new here and new to News Groups so please be patient haha. I have
been ponding for about 16 yrs now. We have two ponds. The upper one is about
10x8x2 feet and is for plants, frogs and tadpoles, it leads into a bog which
then leads into a stream and it leads into our larger pond 18'x14'x5' for
our Koi and goldfish. I live in the Maritimes, Canada. Take a look at my
website to see pictures.
Bev
http://bevsplace.ca/
Clurrie
2005-06-14 01:06:55 UTC
Welcome to the wonderful world of newsgroups.... Careful, they can
become addictive to some degree! :O)
I also live in the Maritimes, (New Brunswick, in effect). Just starting
out with the pond keeping. This is only my second summer with fish, and
the third since we dug "the hole" in the back yard. A bit different
than most, mine is 65 x 30 x 7 feet deep at the deepest parts (we needed
a LOT of soil for landscaping)... We stocked it with 250 speckled trout
rather than goldfish or Koi and they've been doing great. The larger
ones are over a foot long and weigh about a pound or so now. The hardy
plants we introduced last year have all come up (hardy water lilies,
arrowhead, wild and yellow iris as well as wild swamp grasses) and a few
wild edge plants have introduced themselves (mostly grasses). It was
pure joy to find that the fish had overwintered well and strong and that
the plants also were ready and willing to go. In spite of the cold,
dark spring, the iris are budding and the arrowhead has spread to at
least twice the area it was last summer. We bought a few more varieties
this spring and continue the long process of landscaping around the
pond, including building a "permanent" waterfall/stream to replace the
temporary one we threw together last summer to provide areation. I
don't have any pics posted yet, unfortunetly. Maybe sometime soon...
Anyway, with your years of experience in cold climate ponding, you will
be a welcomed resource I'm sure....