Advice / Instructions for a Bottom Drain
Rock Beer
2006-08-09 20:05:38 UTC
Hi

Planning on constructing a new pond with a friend at his new house. Basic
plan is 6000ts, concrete lined with a bottom drain. Edges will be raised
60cm or so.

Can anyone advise on any good sites etc with instructions on what's needed
for the botton drain & some installation and construction guidelines?

We're pretty sure we know what we're doing but would like some information
to make sure!

Thanks
Pete Thomas
2006-08-13 16:13:41 UTC
Post by Rock Beer
Hi
Planning on constructing a new pond with a friend at his new house. Basic
plan is 6000ts, concrete lined with a bottom drain. Edges will be raised
60cm or so.
Can anyone advise on any good sites etc with instructions on what's needed
for the botton drain & some installation and construction guidelines?
We're pretty sure we know what we're doing but would like some information
to make sure!
I think this is asking for trouble and way more expensive than a simple
pump for when/if you need to drain the pond.

Is there a particular reason you can't use a pump, or why you need to
drain the pond at all, as ideally you need the water to stay there to
maintain a good natural balance.
--
Pete Thomas - www.petethomas.co.uk
***********
Contact via the Breakfast Room
Rock Beer
2006-08-14 06:26:11 UTC
Post by Pete Thomas
Post by Rock Beer
Hi
Planning on constructing a new pond with a friend at his new house. Basic
plan is 6000ts, concrete lined with a bottom drain. Edges will be raised
60cm or so.
Can anyone advise on any good sites etc with instructions on what's needed
for the botton drain & some installation and construction guidelines?
We're pretty sure we know what we're doing but would like some information
to make sure!
I think this is asking for trouble and way more expensive than a simple
pump for when/if you need to drain the pond.
Is there a particular reason you can't use a pump, or why you need to
drain the pond at all, as ideally you need the water to stay there to
maintain a good natural balance.
--
Sorry, should have made myself clearer!

The bottom drain will run to a pump and bio-filter in a chamber next to the
pond - the "drain" is not for draining the water
Pete Thomas
2006-08-14 15:07:14 UTC
Post by Rock Beer
Post by Pete Thomas
Post by Rock Beer
to make sure!
I think this is asking for trouble and way more expensive than a
simple pump for when/if you need to drain the pond.
Is there a particular reason you can't use a pump, or why you need
to drain the pond at all, as ideally you need the water to stay
there to maintain a good natural balance.
--
Sorry, should have made myself clearer!
The bottom drain will run to a pump and bio-filter in a chamber next
to the pond - the "drain" is not for draining the water
Aha I see. Still a lot more complicated than a gravity or pressure
filter so I would advise against it unless you really really have to.
~ janj
2006-08-15 05:23:36 UTC
Post by Rock Beer
Can anyone advise on any good sites etc with instructions on
what's needed for the botton drain & some installation and construction
guidelines?
If you check out my website you can find info on bottom drains and how we
did it. Click on *Lily Pond* and you'll see the bottom drain. As far as the
filter it goes to, it is under *My Filter* and *Demo Pond Filter*. There
are bigger bottom drains, you might need 2 for 6,000 (gallons?). ~ jan
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a