Conifers, fish and ponds
Richard Wrigley
2006-08-10 18:06:18 UTC
Greetings from Norfolk (UK)

We recently moved into a bungalow which has a pair of ponds connected by a
short stream - water is re-circulated by the fountain pump.
The stream and 'upper'(about 2 ft above the lower) pond is located under
some low growing conifers. It has been suggested that this may prevent us
having fish in either of the ponds.

Can anybody advise please before we comit to getting fish ?

--
Richard.

"I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which when looked at in
the right way, did not become still more complicated"
Poul Anderson
Oxymel of Squill
2006-08-16 15:15:24 UTC
why should it? The mile high pine tree next door dumps more than its share
of cones in my pond and around. Never brained or poisoned a fish yet

I try to keep the needles out of the pond though as I'm told they promote
acidity. Might be an old wives' tale

Jon
Wisbech
Poul Anderson
Nick Byford
2006-08-18 14:26:18 UTC
I agree.

Even our Koi are tolerant of most things. Our old pond used to have a
Bramley overhanging and regularly apples would fall into the pond. The fish
actually seemed to enjoy pushing them around - weird!

We now have a large pine behind our pond and it seems to have no ill effects
upon the occupants.

I like the idea of the cones though. The apples were a bit heavy, perhaps
cones would be easier for them to play with!

Nick
www.pennix.co.uk