Frogs on St Valentines
Tumbleweed
2004-02-14 15:42:50 UTC
Appropriately enough, first sighting of frogs in my pond this year was
today.
(Reading). In 2002 it was 2 weeks previous to this,cant recall for last
year.
--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)
David Jones
2004-02-14 22:21:40 UTC
Post by Tumbleweed
Appropriately enough, first sighting of frogs in my pond this year was
today.
(Reading). In 2002 it was 2 weeks previous to this,cant recall for last
year.
--
Tumbleweed
newsgroups)
Here in Aldershot, Hampshire we have frogs in the pond throughout the winter
(as usual), although numbers have been down drastically compared with last
winter. 2002 ended with some 28 in the ponds while this year started with
just 6. This year's arrivals started appearing in the second half of January
and yesterday the count was up to at least 51. Tonight, with the temperature
down a few degrees they have become less active I can only see 39. If last
year is repeated we should have 100+ and perhaps the first spawn by the end
of the month, unless it turns colder.

The smooth newts appeared on the 3rd Feb (2 Feb in 2003, 29 Jan in 2002, 13
March in 2001).

Cheers,

David Jones
Wildlife Diaries at www.mybitoftheplanet.com
Malda
Wildlife Diaries at www.mybitoftheplanet.com
Still waiting here in Shropshire. Where have they gone?

Martin
Tumbleweed
2004-02-20 07:50:38 UTC
Post by David Jones
Post by David Jones
of the month, unless it turns colder.
The smooth newts appeared on the 3rd Feb (2 Feb in 2003, 29 Jan in
2002,
Post by David Jones
13
Post by David Jones
March in 2001).
Cheers,
David Jones
Wildlife Diaries at www.mybitoftheplanet.com
Still waiting here in Shropshire. Where have they gone?
Dunno, but since that sighting mine have been very quiet, no mating
behaviour, and only one or two about. Later than last couple of years
AFAICR.
--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)
David Jones
2004-02-20 17:06:12 UTC
Post by Tumbleweed
Post by Malda
Still waiting here in Shropshire. Where have they gone?
Dunno, but since that sighting mine have been very quiet, no mating
behaviour, and only one or two about. Later than last couple of years
AFAICR.
Mine have disappeared again now as the temperature has dropped. Most will
now be at the bottom of the pond. It seems that mine don't like it when the
air temperature drops much below 6C, and the forecast is for the cold to
continue well into next week.

This time last year there was ice on my pond, but a few days later they were
back in action with spawn appearing on the 28th.

David Jones
Garden Wildlife Diaries at www.mybitoftheplanet.com
Robert
2004-02-22 12:00:26 UTC
Post by David Jones
Post by Tumbleweed
Post by Malda
Still waiting here in Shropshire. Where have they gone?
Dunno, but since that sighting mine have been very quiet, no mating
behaviour, and only one or two about. Later than last couple of years
AFAICR.
Mine have disappeared again now as the temperature has dropped. Most will
now be at the bottom of the pond. It seems that mine don't like it when the
air temperature drops much below 6C, and the forecast is for the cold to
continue well into next week.
This time last year there was ice on my pond, but a few days later they were
back in action with spawn appearing on the 28th.
First batch of spawn seen on Tuesday morning (and immediately removed
from pond due to presence of spawn munching flatworms). No sign of any
more spawn since but even here in south Devon I think that the
temperatures have been a bit low for more mating activity.
Robert
Tumbleweed
2004-02-22 18:09:13 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by David Jones
Post by Tumbleweed
Post by Malda
[...]
What have you got against flatworms? Dont they need to eat as well?
--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)
Robert
2004-02-24 22:43:53 UTC
Post by Tumbleweed
Post by Robert
First batch of spawn seen on Tuesday morning (and immediately removed
from pond due to presence of spawn munching flatworms). No sign of any
more spawn since but even here in south Devon I think that the
temperatures have been a bit low for more mating activity.
--
Robert
What have you got against flatworms? Dont they need to eat as well?
Other than they are rather uninteresting and, given the opportunity,
will eat all the spawn I have nothing against them - interestingly they
do seem more fond of raw chicken than spawn.
--
Robert