Remote control for pump?
Curlytail
2004-05-04 22:53:25 UTC
I wish to supply a pond pump from the electric supply in my shed but wish to
operate the pump from my house without having to run a cable to the house.
I have noticed that Wickes DIY chain sell two adapters (for internal use
though I can get round that probably) and a remote control that has a range
of 18 metres. Has anybody used these or another method to solve this
problem?
Regards
Dave
Tumbleweed
2004-05-05 20:41:26 UTC
Post by Curlytail
I wish to supply a pond pump from the electric supply in my shed but wish to
operate the pump from my house without having to run a cable to the house.
I have noticed that Wickes DIY chain sell two adapters (for internal use
though I can get round that probably) and a remote control that has a range
of 18 metres. Has anybody used these or another method to solve this
problem?
Regards
Dave
Are you using the pump to operate a filter? If so, best to keep it running
continuously.
--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address
Curlytail
Tumbleweed
2004-05-06 07:02:31 UTC
Just to put some context on that, if you run a pump for several months, turn
it off for 2 weeks(lets say you might be on holiday or whatever) then come
back and switch it on, chances are you'll kill most things in the pond
unless you clean the filter out first. Or if you are planning to run it just
in the day or just while you are in, the filter will be innefectual.

None of this applies if there is no filter and you are just running a
fountain or similar.

Curlytail
Curlytail
2004-05-17 20:41:58 UTC
I was hoping to have a 'wildlife' style pond with no fish but a waterfall
and possibly a fountain. I understand that it might take 18 months for the
pond to mature and if the surface is covered by 2 thirds with plants it may
not be necessary to have a filter.

Does anybody think it's realistic or not?

Thanks
Dave
Post by Curlytail
Post by Curlytail
of 18 metres. Has anybody used these or another method to solve this
problem?
Regards
Dave
Are you using the pump to operate a filter? If so, best to keep it
running
Post by Curlytail
Post by Tumbleweed
continuously.
Tumbleweed
2004-05-18 07:00:41 UTC
I dont think its necessary to have a filter at all in a wildlife pond. So
you just need to try and avoid sucking up insects and wildlife through the
pump (orbe resigned to it happening).

There are two sorts of filter, one is to stop junk getting sucked into the
pump and jamming it. Thats just a mechanical barrier. You'll ahve one of
thsoe. A biological and small particle filter, to make the watre clearer
isnt needed since most poeple who have one of those want it so they can see
their fish or so the conditions are good for the fish.

Re your other message about freezing, its only a biological filter that
causes a problem if you shut it down.
If you are just circulating water for a waterfall there is no issue to
switch it off.
--

Post by Curlytail
Post by Tumbleweed
Post by Curlytail
though I can get round that probably) and a remote control that
has
Post by Curlytail
Post by Tumbleweed
Post by Curlytail
Post by Tumbleweed
range
Post by Tumbleweed
Post by Curlytail
Post by Tumbleweed
Post by Curlytail
problem?
Regards
Dave
Are you using the pump to operate a filter? If so, best to keep it
running
Post by Curlytail
Post by Tumbleweed
continuously.
Curlytail
2004-05-18 16:05:04 UTC
Thanks again Tumbleweed for the sound advice
Dave
Post by Tumbleweed
Post by Curlytail
I wish to supply a pond pump from the electric supply in my shed
but
Post by Curlytail
Post by Tumbleweed
Post by Curlytail
wish
Post by Tumbleweed
Post by Curlytail
operate the pump from my house without having to run a cable to
the
Post by Curlytail
Post by Tumbleweed
Post by Curlytail
house.
Post by Tumbleweed
Post by Curlytail
I have noticed that Wickes DIY chain sell two adapters (for
internal
Post by Curlytail
Post by Tumbleweed
use
Post by Curlytail
Post by Tumbleweed
Post by Curlytail
though I can get round that probably) and a remote control that
has
Post by Curlytail
Post by Tumbleweed
Post by Curlytail
Post by Tumbleweed
range
Post by Tumbleweed
Post by Curlytail
Post by Tumbleweed
Post by Curlytail
problem?
Regards
Dave
Are you using the pump to operate a filter? If so, best to keep it
running
Post by Curlytail
Post by Tumbleweed
continuously.
Curlytail
2004-05-17 21:39:41 UTC
I now realise how important it is to operate a pump continually but what
happens when it is snowing and icy - will my pond (18" deep) and my
waterfall/small stream freeze up and damage the pump?
Dave
Post by Curlytail
Post by Curlytail
of 18 metres. Has anybody used these or another method to solve this
problem?
Regards
Dave
Are you using the pump to operate a filter? If so, best to keep it
running
Post by Curlytail
Post by Tumbleweed
continuously.