Strange creature inside "leaf sandwich"?
Martin Ryder
2005-06-19 15:32:54 UTC
I've just spotted a creature moving across the surface of my pond, which
has created a protective "shell" for itself by cutting two neat ovals
(approx 15mm long) from my lily leaves, and has somehow stuck them
together with it inside. A bit like caddis larvae do with grit etc.,
but this is definitely operating on the surface.

Any ideas what it is?

I'm in southern England BTW.

Cheers,
Martin.
Richard Torrens (news)
2005-06-19 16:34:09 UTC
Post by Martin Ryder
I've just spotted a creature moving across the surface of my pond, which
has created a protective "shell" for itself by cutting two neat ovals
(approx 15mm long) from my lily leaves, and has somehow stuck them
together with it inside. A bit like caddis larvae do with grit etc.,
but this is definitely operating on the surface.
Any ideas what it is?
I'm in southern England BTW.
Cheers,
Martin.
Caddis fly larva. Many different species: build tubular shells out of
anything available. Including vegetable matter.

Or it could be a China Mark Moth catterpillar.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=China+Mark+Moth+catterpillar&sa=Google+Search
Richard Torrens. N.B. email address ***@4qd.org is valid.
All email addresses are copyright. Resale or use on any lists is expressly forbidden.
4QD manufacture speed controllers for battery electric motors.
www sites http://www.4QD.org and http://www.4QD.co.uk
---------- We use a RISC PC 32 bit RISC computer ----------------
Martin Ryder
2005-06-20 19:54:49 UTC
Post by Richard Torrens (news)
Post by Martin Ryder
I've just spotted a creature moving across the surface of my pond, which
has created a protective "shell" for itself by cutting two neat ovals
(approx 15mm long) from my lily leaves, and has somehow stuck them
together with it inside. A bit like caddis larvae do with grit etc.,
but this is definitely operating on the surface.
Any ideas what it is?
I'm in southern England BTW.
Cheers,
Martin.
Caddis fly larva. Many different species: build tubular shells out of
anything available. Including vegetable matter.
Or it could be a China Mark Moth catterpillar.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=China+Mark+Moth+catterpillar&sa=Google+Search
Bingo! China Mark Moth is the culprit. He's now in the wild pond with
all the duckweed he can eat!

Thanks for that.
Martin.