Newbie : Pond on slight slope
CJY
2003-07-26 20:09:53 UTC
Having read various posts about having two ponds on more steeply sloping
gardens, I am wondering how I should tackle my first pond in a small garden
that has a slight slope (approx 2-3" in 6').

I'm considering a pond around 5-6' long. From the information found on
various web sites the rule seems to be that all the edges of the pond should
be on a level with a central marker during the construction phase.

My query is that with such a slight slope is it practical to consider having
the edging of the pond following the slope of the ground? I guess this would
result in a larger "gap" between the water level and the edging at the
higher end than at the lower end?

Would this look odd and a better approach be to perhaps have the pond level
set for the higher end and handle the 2-3" difference in height with
suitable building up/landscaping at the lower end?

Look forward to any constructive comments before I embark on this project.

Chris
Zoab
2003-07-27 12:48:30 UTC
Post by CJY
[...]
Hi Chris,
I had the same problem with my first pond, just a few inches low at the
bottom end. I built up the bottom end to keep the water level, a low gap at
the top end looks awful. But as all pond nuts, one thing led to another and
I now have two ponds on different levels. Having landscaped the lower end I
built another pond with the waterlevel about 18" above the lower pond to
create a waterfall. So now I have a pump in the lower pond sending water to
a homemade filter via a uv light which in turn runs into the top pond and
back to the main pond via the waterfall. It all works very well, the water
is as clear as crystal and the fish breed well, as do the frogs, newts and
various other wildlife. The bottom pond is just over 2000 galls and the top
pond is about 500 galls. If you do put in a pump, make sure the inlet is
close to the top of the water, a lot of people make the mistake of putting
the pump on the bottom and sucking all the muck and rubbish through the
system. I only clean my filter once or twice a year, having the pump high in
the water leaves the mud etc in the bottom which gets a clean out every
spring. Hope this helps.

Bryan ( Hampshire )
Ian Tracey
2004-05-26 17:57:00 UTC
Post by Zoab
close to the top of the water, a lot of people make the mistake of putting
the pump on the bottom and sucking all the muck and rubbish through the
system.
But if you have it at the top, don't you run the risk that the water in the
bottom of the pond does not get pumped through the filter ? However you
said your pond is clear I can only assume that in practice it is just an
accademic consideration

cheers

ian