Question on Daphnia
J F Garner
2006-04-29 11:48:11 UTC
Hi everyone,

I put 6 bags of Daphnia in my 1000 LITRE pond, I watched them all day and
they eventually pretty much got everywhere.

The next day they had all completely vanished. I can think of lots of
reasons of what may have happened but at the same time I can also think of
reasons why I'm wrong can anyone give me any ideas as to what might have
happened to them please.

My ideas :-

They all got eaten by the fish -I only have 3 fish and they are much too big
to be bothered to go around catching tiny Daphnia also half my pond is
cluttered with weeds where the Daphnia can easily hide.I still have a few
tadpoles left as well so if they can hide from the fish Daphnia should have
no problem.

They all died in the night because of the cold -The pet shop owner told me
that at nightime he puts them all in the fridge until the next morning and
they are always fine.

The water poisoned them -I checked the pond, the water is fine and as I
already said I have Fish, Tadpoles, Waterskaters, 2 Frogs, Leaches, and
funny Woodlice type things and all of them seem quite happy.

I am confused,
Jay :-)
loopy livernose
2006-04-29 13:03:49 UTC
Post by J F Garner
[...]
Hi Jay

first off.. Daphnia are VERY tasty to fish so the fish would make a
"beeline" for them and gorge themselves.

also tadpoles eat Daphnia as do water skaters.

the Daphnia only live about 2 days and then die, infact 90% of what you put
in the pond was most likely dead daphnia. however they do lay eggs all the
time. so what you have done is put loads of eggs into the pond. I've even
been told when they die they can keep dropping (for want of a better term)
eggs for a few hours. They also eat detritus so will obviously sink to the
bottom where their is most.

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html?http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artjun99/wflea.html

as you have plants there could be loads hiding in there.

so basically you haven't "lost" them, they haven't "vanished" however
they are doing what they do, eating the "detritus" and being fish food.

Loopy

J F Garner
2006-04-29 14:18:24 UTC
Hey thanks a lot Loopy -I never knew they only lived for two days anyway ha
ha.

Cheers for the link as well mate,
Jay :-)
Oxymel of Squill
2006-05-01 08:53:23 UTC
but then daphnia give fish diarrhoea so it's not terriffic to gorge them
that much
Marty_B
2006-05-11 02:33:55 UTC
It is possible they are hiding.

Daphnia inhabit some of my lily ponds, and they hide in the day and come out
at dusk and can be seen all night with a torch.

Marty
in Warwick, NY
Jay :-)
J F Garner