snake in the pond
Barry
2006-09-10 07:49:36 UTC
Hi, I saw a snake in the pond as I fed the fish!

I don't know what is was as it moved quick!

Will it do any harm?

How can I get rid of it?

Barry
Nick Byford
2006-09-10 14:16:51 UTC
Barry,

It was probably a grass snake and it seems that its favourite food is frogs.
They do eat fish, but unlike some other animals, it is unlikely that it will
take any more than it needs and move elsewhere.

We have had a couple of grass snakes in our pond before and although I
didn't manage to get a picture, they aren't marked quite as brightly as a
lot of other snakes, being (I think) a pale colour on the belly and can be
anything up to nine different markings on their backs
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/278.shtml

I don't think you can get rid of them, but why would you want to?

Nick
www.pennix.co.uk
Barry
Roger Whitehead
2006-09-10 21:40:49 UTC
Post by Nick Byford
It was probably a grass snake
Seconded. They're quite at home in water and harmless to humans (but will
give you a nip if you're quick enough to pick one up). Not venomous,
though.

They're beautiful creatures, to be treasured.
Roger
Randell Tarin
2007-06-14 01:33:51 UTC
Post by Roger Whitehead
Post by Nick Byford
It was probably a grass snake
Seconded. They're quite at home in water and harmless to humans (but will
give you a nip if you're quick enough to pick one up). Not venomous,
though.
They're beautiful creatures, to be treasured.
You're lucky. We live in East Texas and the snakes that visit our pond
are Cotton-Mouthed Water Moccassins, quite venomous. I usually dispatch
them with a .410 shotgun. When not dealing with snakes, we have beaver
and sometimes alligators.

Barry
2006-09-10 20:35:59 UTC
Post by Nick Byford
It was probably a grass snake and it seems that its favourite food is frogs.
They do eat fish, but unlike some other animals, it is unlikely that it will
take any more than it needs and move elsewhere.
We have had a couple of grass snakes in our pond before and although I
didn't manage to get a picture, they aren't marked quite as brightly as a
lot of other snakes, being (I think) a pale colour on the belly and can be
anything up to nine different markings on their backs
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/278.shtml
I don't think you can get rid of them, but why would you want to?
The only reason would be that I do not want to lose my fish.
But as I do not know how I could remove it all I can do is see what happens.
Many thanks,
Barry