Pond edging
alan.mcneill3
2005-02-16 19:34:21 UTC
Hope this is the right NG.
I am amaking my first pond (and last?)

I aim to use rocks/boulders/cobbles to edge it . Which is the best to use
and do I need a concrete base for them.

Thanks Alan
jedi
2005-02-22 01:40:19 UTC
I did not use cement and what is best to use depends on the look you want.
A formal look might use cobbles all the way around in a uniform pattern and
size. A natural look would be some larger boulders placed strategically
with smaller rocks, plants, logs, etc. filling in. What is critical is that
the soil under whatever you put in is stable. My biggest disaster was from
'raising' an edge with sand which the first big rain storm washed away
leading to the whole pond collapsing in on one side. It was made worse by
my thinking that the most 'natural' place for the pond was the lowest place
in the yard. It is still in that spot and has been stable now for some
years but the ground is very solid and it has taken some time to find the
right locations for the rocks . Yes I did recover from that as did the
fish. Where I am we have raccoons and herons so I have made my pond with
the sides going straight down. I place plants on plastic crates on the
side. The fish are able to hide in the crates because one of the three
sides is only half way up. I would suggest that you do a search for ponds
and find the look you like.

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/koipond/01.html
http://www.fringeweb.com/Ponds/JerrisPond/
http://members.aol.com/kmam1/KensPond/KensPage.html

I think Ken's pond with the tile surround is a very beautiful formal pond.

http://members.aol.com/mary%20lady/pondpals/internat.htm